Tuesday, January 20, 2009

First impressions

The time is here. The deed is done. The One is President.
I watched today as he took his oath of office and then listened to his speech and I have to say, given all the buildup, I was largely underwhelmed. As good of a speechmaker as he was during the campaign, I just expected more. One of the things that I am still looking for is some specifics. I keep hearing these broad generalizations, but I haven't heard much in the way of specifics.

The initial polling data is also quite telling. Obama enjoys a 79 percent positive rating, yet people still don't seem to know what he's going to do, other than bring change and fix the United States. One of the articles I read on the polls said that Bush only had a 60 percent positive rating when he first took office. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I wonder how things would have gone over the last 8 years had anyone from the left given Bush even the slightest of chances before they started in with the demonization. In this time of strife, Obama should count himself lucky that the majority of the people on the right are willing to be the bigger people and give him a chance. As I have said, I'm not happy with his election, and his policies worry me, but I'm willing to see what happens over the next few months. I'll be watching closely.

I did like some of the things he said. When he talked about people being responsible for themselves and doing for themselves, I was very impressed, and I hope he'll follow through on that. However, I did notice that it got almost no reaction at all from the crowd. I have others, but I want to read the text of the speech and parse a little before I go there.

So, it begins. Obama is our President. Now that his words must become actions I'll be interested to see how long he holds onto that 79 percent.

No comments: