Sunday, February 22, 2009

Insight

It's been interesting to watch some creeping disillusion regarding the President and all of these grand bailout plans.
Some Republican governors, like Jindal and Palin are talking about not taking bailout money for their states, saying that it comes with too many strings. Among other things, it would require the complete repeal of welfare reform that was passed by the Clinton administration, which would then only be funded for the first couple of years. I have to say good for them. I wish more people would stand strong like this instead of caving and doing like Granholm, Schwarzenegger, and Crist and begging for whatever is left by those governors who aren't taking.
More interesting is a couple my Democrat friends who are looking at the latest incarnation of the bailout, specifically the $75 billion to save 9 million homes from foreclosure. It seems that they are wondering why the government is spending our money to bail out people who shouldn't have been buying homes in the first place. They are thinking that it isn't fair to the people who are doing things right, bought within their means, pay their bills and are sacrificing in this economy to realize "The American Dream" of owning a home.
While I like that they are seeing what the problem is, I have to wonder where they've been all along. I saw things like this coming, and so did many other people like me. It's not like Obama made a great secret out of wanting to do things like this. I guess I should just say, "Welcome aboard, glad to have you here."
It would also seem that they are not alone in their creeping disillusion, as I watch the President's approval rating start to dwindle. Hopefully, when that clock on the left column of this blog reaches zero, there will be enough people who have gone down this path to vote people into Congress who will slow plans like this down.

No comments: