Sunday, December 21, 2008

Merry...

Christmas is Thursday; and every year my wife and I have both sides of the family in for a big Christmas dinner and gift exchange. Each year, I cook up a standing rib roast for the family - about an 8 1/2 pounder does the job.
According to Alton Brown, 3 to 4 days of dry aging makes it better, so I went out this morning to buy the roast. Because the thermometer read 5 degrees, I bundled up as I headed out to my butcher. I rebundled against the now 4 degree temperature as I left my butcher with 70 dollars worth of roast. A $70 roast that cost me $59 last year.
From my reading, one reason for the extra cost of the roast would be the fact that feeding beef is more expensive now. Why would that be? That would be because they're growing less feed in favor of growing corn, switchgrass, etc. for biofuels.
You know biofuels. That's the fuel made from what used to be our food so that we can be environmentally friendly and not use foreign oil. You know foreign oil. That's the stuff we burn because we have to be environmentally friendly and can't harvest the energy sources we have here in the US - but digress. You know biofuels, those fuels made from what used to be our food that are only even remotely cost effective because of government subsidies. You know government subsidies. Those would be part of the cause of that growing number at the top of the page.
Of course, the upside is that we're fighting global warming. You know global warming. That would be the phenomenon that folks like Al Gore are telling us we cause. The phenomenon that folks like Al Gore are telling us is proven by the world's temperatures falling over the last ten years and the fact that 2008 is on its way to being one of the coldest on record.
Which brings us full-circle back to me braving the exceptionally frigid temperatures to buy my more expensive roast. It just makes me want to wish the global warming fanatics a Merry Christmas. Oh wait... they could be offended by the word Christmas. So, in order to be politically correct, I'll just say merry frickin' winter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Riddle me this. When it comes to the conflict in Gaza, The Chosen One tells the American people he can't comment on the situation because we can't have two administrations at the same time. When it comes to the economy, he can't keep his mouth shut, urging congress to have a spending bill ready for him when he takes office. The predictions are coming true. This guy has no idea what to do when it comes to foreign policy. At least the French might like us now.